Keywords or "keyword abilities" are words attached to rules text.
Many abilities are explained in reminder text, which is recognized by being in parenthesis and italics directly following the keyword.
List of Keywords
An effect allowing a creature that has been crossed with a Cross Gear to gain an extra ability.
- Super Accelerator - An ability exclusive to Fuuma Rakshasa Choronzon where the ability activates while any of your creatures is crossed with a cross gear.
An effect that allows a spell to be cast for no cost when one of your creatures with a specified race attacks.
Awaken is a keyword that typically belongs to the less expensive side of a Psychic Creature. When a Psychic Creature's controller satisfies a certain condition indicated on the typically lower-cost side of the Psychic Creature, that Psychic Creature can flip to its reverse, typically more expensive cardface, gaining it new, stronger attributes and effects. The original text on a cardface is ignored and the new face of the cards text takes precedence for as long as that card-face remains face-up.
- Loop Awaken is an ability that allows a Psychic Creature to keep flipping over based on certain conditions, regardless of which cardface is face-up.
- Meteorburn Awaken is an ability that causes a Psychic Creature to flip at the start of your turn, after sending all the cards under the creature into the graveyard.
- Psychic Link requires certain other specifically-named Psychic Creatures to be in one player's battle zone before it can activate. If the required creatures are in your battle zone, all of them can link into one single creature (similar to God creatures), except that they first flip before becoming linked into one creature, called a Psychic Super Creature. Component creatures are characterized by their reverse sides displaying only part of the linked Psychic Super Creature, and with a small, appropriately-colored psychic cell indicator.
- Victory Psychic Link is a variation of Psychic Link where Psychic Creatures can be linked and collectively awakened immediately upon entering the battle zone.
You may discard a creature with this Bio Kick ability when one of your creatures with a certain race is attacking and is not blocked (this creature's race is specified). If you choose to discard, you may activate the creatures Bio Kick ability. Ex: When one of your Dragons attacks and is not blocked, you may discard this card from your hand, if so, destroy one of your opponent's creatures.
A creature with this ability may be discarded from your hand at the beginning of a battle when one of your creatures attacks (this creature's race is specified). If you choose to discard, you can activate a temporary effect that will last until the end of your turn.
Allows a creature with this ability to block an attack from an opposing creature, and change the attack target to itself. Ex: if a creature attacks one of your shields, you can use a creature with the "Blocker" ability to stop the attack. Sometimes this is specific to a given trait, e.g. a "Fire Blocker" can only block creatures from the Fire civilization.
These abilities allows the creature to break extra shields in a single attack if it makes a successful unblocked attack on a player. Each shield is broken (and can be cast if a Shield Trigger) one at a time. If the creature would leave the battle zone in the middle of breaking shields (due to Shield Triggers such as Terror Pit) the shield-breaking still continues. Creatures with 2 or more of these abilities can choose to use either one of these Breaker abilities, they do not stack.
- Double Breaker - The creature breaks 2 shields rather than the usual one.
- Triple Breaker - The creature breaks 3 shields rather than the usual one.
- Quattro Breaker - The creature breaks 4 shields rather than the usual one.
- World Breaker - The creature breaks all of the opponent's shields at once.
- Galaxy Breaker - An ability only provided by Galaxy Blade - THE FINAL. The creature breaks all of the opponent's shields at once. After the attack, all of your shields are broken as well.
- Crew Breaker - The creature breaks one additional shield for each creature you control that is of the same race as that creature.
- Civilization Breaker - An ability exclusive to Spectrum Giant. The creature breaks as many shields as you have different civilizations in your mana zone.
When a creature with this ability is put in the battle zone, you may look at the top card of your deck. If the card is a creature that costs less than this creature with the chain ability, you may summon it to the battle zone.
- Chain Cascade allows you to view the top 2 cards of your deck. If they cost less than the creature with the chain cascade ability, you may summon them to the battle zone.
- Rebirth Chain is similar to the original Chain ability, but also can trigger if the creature with Rebirth Chain is destroyed.
Allows a spell to be put into your mana zone instead of your graveyard after it has been cast.
- EVO Charger - When you cast this spell, put it in your mana zone instead of your graveyard. Then, you may put a creature from your mana zone under 1 of your evolution creatures.
A spell with the "Cyclone" ability is returned to your hand instead of going to the graveyard after it's been cast if you've played a creature before casting the spell.
It is an ability exclusive to Exile Creatures. When one of your creatures with a specified part of the name is destroyed, you may put another creature with that part of their name from your hand into the battle zone.
Double Evolution Burst
A card with this ability allows you to choose both of its 2 effects if you have an evolution creature in the battle zone.
A special kind of race, with an ability similar to the Survivor race. Dynamo creatures can tap themselves to add their power and abilities to any Dynamo that is attacking or being attacked.
Eternal Omega is an ability that triggers when a creature with this ability would leave the battle zone for any reason. Instead of moving to the intended zone, the creature is returned to its owner's hand.
If a race-specific card in your mana zone is tapped to summon the creature with the "Fort Energy" ability, the summoned creature will gain an extra ability. Ex: If a Dark Lord is tapped in your mana zone to summon this creature, you may destroy one of your opponent's creatures.
When a creature with Freeze attacks your opponent and isn't blocked, you may choose 1 of your opponent's creatures in the battle zone and tap it. That creature doesn't untap at the start of your opponent's next turn.
- Double Freeze allows you to tap 2 of your opponents creatures in the battle zone when your creature isn't blocked. Both creatures can't untap the next turn.
To play Gachinko Judge, each player reveals the top card of their deck, and then places it on the bottom of their deck. If the player who controls the creature with the Gachinko Judge ability reveals a card with an equal or higher cost than their opponent, they win the game of Gachinko Judge.
This ability is exclusive to the race of Gods. When two or more Gods are linked together, they will gain each of the other gods abilities and power. When a linked God would leave the battle zone, the player can choose which of the linked Gods leaves. Gods can only link with specific Gods, whose names are stated in their card text. Multiple gods are also able to link to various gods in either 2 or 3 directions.
Due to the way that the God card artwork is designed, it is easy to tell to which God a God can link to, and in what direction it links. The artwork on the card will spill over the usual card art border and towards the direction in which the God can link to another God. See the God page for specific rulings on the God Link ability.
A creature with the Gravity Zero keyword may be summoned onto the battle zone without paying its summoning cost if certain conditions are fulfilled.
When one of your other creatures is attacked, you may tap a creature with the Guardman ability. If you do, the attacking creature will attack that creature instead.
A creature with Holy Field gains their ability when you opponent doesn't have more shields than you.
During battle, a creature with Hunting gets +1000 power for each of your Hunter creatures in the battle zone.
- This keyword is found only on the Hunter race of creatures.
- This keyword is found only on the Knight spells.
When a creature with Knightly Generation is put into the battle zone, you may cast a spell in your hand with "Knight Magic" without cost. It is the Knight version of the Samurai Generation keyword.
- This keyword is found only on King Surprise, Spirit of the Heavenly Sea.
When the spell with the “Launcher Energy” ability is cast; you may tap any number of untapped creatures in the battle zone with the same race as specified by the card. The effect of the spell is influenced by the number of creatures that are tapped by this ability. Ex: Tap any number of Demon Command in the battle zone; destroy the same number of your opponent's creature.
When the creature with this ability is destroyed, you may take a creature from your graveyard and add it to your hand, if so add the creature with the “Life Gate” ability to the bottom of your deck instead of the Graveyard (The races of creatures you can take back from the Graveyard are specifically stated by the card).
- Goal Life Gate — allows you to take back multiple creatures from your graveyard to your hand
When a creature possessing this ability is summoned, reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a multicolored card it is added to your hand.
- This keyword is found only on the race of Lost Crusader.
A creature with this ability may be summoned from the mana zone to the battle zone by paying its Mana Reburst number. For example, Beetle Moguttan has the Mana Reburst 4 ability so it requires 4 mana to be summoned from the mana zone into the battle zone.
When you put this creature into the battle zone, you may return a creature on the battle zone to your hand. If you do, you may activate this creature's Marshall Touch ability.
When you have 7 or more cards in your mana zone, the creature or spell will gain a new special ability.
By sending a creature under the evolution creature (a component for the evolution) to the graveyard, a special effect can be activated. Timings for this effect's use are usually when the creature attacks, but this may differ. Some creatures can send more than one card at once to set off an even more powerful effect.
- This keyword is found only on Evolution Creatures.
Mega Meteorburn - This ability sends each card under the creature to the graveyard to activate its effect.
- This keyword is found only on Supernova Betelgeuse Final Cannon.
If you possess at least a certain number of cards in the mana zone (specified in the Shinobi creatures card text) when your opponent attacks or blocks, you can summon that creature at no cost from your hand. The summoned creature is returned to the bottom of your deck at the end of that turn. Only 1 Ninja Strike ability can be used per attack or block.
- This keyword is found only on the Shinobi race of creatures
When you summon a creature with this ability, you can tap extra mana to activate its abilities. Some creatures come with multiple abilities, each with its own cost. It is possible to use more than one ability at once, provided that there is enough mana for all of them.
A creature with Power Attacker increases a creatures power when they attack.
For example, a creature that has power 3000 and Power Attacker +2000 will have a power of 5000 when attacking. After the battle, its power will revert to normal.
Release is an ability that allows the stronger side of Psychic Creatures to flip back over to their lower side instead if they would be removed from the battle zone.
- This keyword is found only on Psychic Creatures.
Link Release — Here, only one of the component creatures of the player's choice returns to the Hyperspatial Zone when the Psychic Super Creature would leave the battle zone, and the remaining components are flipped back and separated.
- This keyword is found only on Psychic Super Creatures.
At the end of either player's turn, if certain conditions are fulfilled, you may summon a creature with this ability for no cost.
When a creature possessing this ability is summoned, you may generate a cross gear from your hand at no cost.
- This keyword is found only on the Samurai race of creatures.
When you generate this cross gear and you have a Samurai creature in your battle zone, search your deck. You may put a card with the same name from your deck into the battle zone without cost. Then, shuffle your deck. It is the Samurai version of the Knight Magic keyword.
- This keyword is found only on Flowing Gear - Dancing Twin Lion Fangs
When one of your creatures would be destroyed, another creature with the "Saver" keyword may destroy itself to be sent to the graveyard in place of that creature. This keyword is often race-specific, though some variants are universal.
- Shield Saver — Allows a creature to destroy themselves instead of having a shield being broken.
- Ultra Saver — When one of your creatures with a specific race would leave the battle zone (rather than simply getting destroyed), you may destroy one of your creatures with Ultra Saver so save that creature.
Adds the top card of your deck under one of your shields. The conditions to trigger this may vary. The stack is considered as a single shield.
- Double Shield Plus - Adds 2 cards from the top of your deck under one of your shields.
- This keyword is found only on Five Star, Spirit of Luck.
- Super Shield Plus — Adds 1 card from the top of your deck under each of your shields.
- This keyword is found only on Ladio Yaesar, Super Divine Dragon.
- Ultra Shield Plus — Adds the top 5 cards of your deck under a single shield.
- This keyword is found only on Milzam, Spirit of Miracles.
Allows a player to use a card from the Shield zone without paying its cost when that shield is broken if it has the "Shield Trigger" ability.
- Cross Gears get the Shield Trigger Cross variant, where they can be generated and crossed at no cost when broken as a shield.
An effect that triggers when you refuse to untap the tapped creature with Silent Skill during the Untap Step at the start of your turn.
Allows a creature to destroy the creature it battles, even if it loses the battle as a result. Sometimes this is specific to a given trait, e.g. a "Nature Slayer" can only use its "Slayer" ability against Nature Civilization creatures, or a "God Slayer" can only use its "Slayer" ability against the God race of creatures.
Soul is an ability that gains effects when you have other creatures with the various Soul abilities in your battle zone. Each civilization has their own different corresponding ability linked to their soul ability (Holy Field, Chain, Soul Recall, Marshall Touch, Mana Reburst, and No Choice).
Souls and Soul abilities are not exclusive to those that are the same civilization as the one that Soul is representing (for example, Fighting Musubi has Kung Fu Soul even though it is not Fire).
- Light — Holy Soul
- Water — Magic Soul
- Darkness — Evil Soul and Bloody Soul
- Fire — Kung Fu Soul
- Nature — Wild Soul
This ability is used when summoning Evolution Creatures. While summoning the evolution creature, the creature's cost is reduced by that of the base creature's. This cannot be reduced below 1.
When a creature with Soul Recall attacks, you may choose a certain number of cards in your graveyard and put them at the bottom of your deck in any order. If you do, you may activate this cards Soul Recall ability.
- Hell's Soul Recall - You may activate this effect on both an attack, and to itself. By paying the cost of the certain number multiple times, you may chain the effect to itself.
- Annihilating Soul Recall - When a creature with Annihilating Soul Recall attacks, you may choose cards from either player's graveyard and put it at the bottom of their owner's deck to activate its Soul Recall ability.
When a card of a certain civilization is put into a player's mana zone, creatures can activate their Space Charge abilities that correspond to the civilization(s) of that card.
Allows a creature to attack on the turn that it was summoned, thus cancelling the summoning sickness.
Allows a creature to be unblockable when it attacks an opponent with a specific civilization card in their mana zone. For example, a creature with "Water Stealth" cannot be blocked by an opponent who has water cards in their mana zone.
When one of your shields of a certain civilization is broken, you may discard the broken shield to use the card with the Strike Back ability at no cost.
A creature with the "Sympathy" keyword will have reduced cost to be summoned for each creature of a (or several) specific race(s) that is present in the battle zone. But there is usually a limit to how low the cost can be (usually the minimum is 2). Ex: a creature will have its cost reduced by 1 for each Angel and/or Demon Command in the Battle Zone, but the cost cannot go lower than 2.
Instead of using that creature to attack, you can tap the creature to use its listed ability. This can only be done during the attacking step of the turn.
When you put a creature with the the Thrilling Three ability into your battle zone, Reveal the 3 top cards of your deck, and for each race-specific card among those 3 cards; you may activate a special ability of the creature with the "Thrilling Three" effect. Afterward, put the revealed cards to the bottom of the deck in any order. Ex: For each "Armored Dragon" cards, you may draw an extra card.
A creature keyword that allows creatures to gain special abilities when other creatures break a shield.
A creature keyword that allows Wave Striker effects to take place if there are three or more creatures with the Wave Striker ability in the battle zone.
God ● Metagame ● Multicolored ● Vanilla